1) Composers of any age and nationality
2) Compositions must not have been previously published (all entries will be thoroughly checked)
3) Compositions must not have won any prize in a previous composition competition (all entries will be thoroughly checked)
4) Compositions must never have been performed in public (all entries will be thoroughly checked)
5) Only one entry per composer
Length and Format
1) Work must be inspired by folk music from any country. A short explanation of the connection to folk music must be given.
2) 6-12 minutes in duration (there is no flexibility – please don’t ask!)
3) Work can be scored for up to any six instruments (including voice).
4) No electronics.
Application (deadline 16th Jan 2023)
1) Biography (200 words max)
2) Biography and scores must be typeset and uploaded as PDF files. Please don’t send individual parts.
3) If possible, please provide a link to a recording of your composition.
4) A £10 application fee applies.
5) Please submit entries under your own name.
1) The winner and runners-up will be announced on 1st March 2023. Details will then posted immediately to this page and the SMF Instagram account. The jury’s decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
1) One prize only of £3000 to be paid via bank transfer.
2) A Scodo professional plus subscription for one year for free. Scodo is a publishing tool for composers by Universal Edition
3) All participants will receive a voucher for free submission via Scodo.
4) The winning work will be premiered at the Solent Music Festival in 2023. It must not be performed in public or recorded for public distribution before this premiere.
Deadline 16 January 2023